Tuesday 12 July 2011

Travelled down to Tamar Valley and had a brief explore round their mining heritage

I journeyed down to the Tamar Valley today as I had meeting with one of the AONB officers on Historic Environment Action Plans. I also took the opportunity to explore the valley which is on the Dorset Cornwall border. I learnt a little about Turners work in the area including his seminal painting "Crossing the Brook". This work has been documented by the Tamar AONB. Visit the BBC webpage for a review of the book.

Of course my thoughts also turned to home because Turner is also associated with the Nadder Valley and undertook several sketches of Fonthill splendeens.

A major feature of the valley a lot less familiar however is the mining heritage present, part of which is in the wider Mining World Heritage Site. Everywhere you look there are ruined wheel houses, chimneys and spoil heaps, and there are excellent trails to help you explore this industrial heritage.

I am now back home looking forward to tomorrow as the team from North Wessex Downs AONB are visiting us in Cranborne.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment